Bible Book Club Study - Session 2 - Joshua & Judges
October readings / questions to respond to and discuss online before the in person meeting on October 26th, 6pm t Fairview or on twitter @FvCCGladstone
- Week 1 - Sept 30- Oct 4 - Joshua 1:1-12:24
• The book of Joshua starts the narrative from the Israelites after the Exodus in the Wilderness and starting their life in the Promised Land. What things were told of in the books of the Torah (Gen-Duet)? Did Joshua continue the work of Moses or did it look different? How? How do we see things differently than the Israelites (ex: chapter 10's description of the sun)
- Week 2 - Oct 5-11 - Joshua 13:1-24:33
• Lots of Lots....Well, a lot of land descriptions here. But the last chapters are the end of Joshua (the person and leader). What parallels do you see between Moses' final actions and Joshua's?
- Week 3 - Oct 12-18 - Judges 1:1-10:18
• Things are now different for the Israelites, disappointments and let downs. What happens to the Israelites as they experience so many shifts in leadership? How would you feel after experiencing the oppression of Abimelech and the built up let downs? Do you see a cycle/pattern in what the Israelites experience?
- Week 4 - Oct 19-25 - Judges 11:1-21:25
• The longest narrative of the Judges is Samson, a renewed hope, and yet an eventual let down as well. What sets Samson apart? What was his downfall? Besides the metaphorical strengths and weaknesses, did he have any personality traits that contributed? What are the effects of Samson going forward?